Sunday, January 4, 2009

500km on an 800R and a Nitro XTX


Over the past 3 days I've logged just over 500k. My season total last year was 6000k and Id really like to beat that. The 2 sleds I rode this past weekend were the Ski-Doo Rev XP 800R Renegade and the Yamaha Nitro XTX. I have to say, these were 2 sleds I really wanted to like last season, but in all honesty, didnt like very much.
After 2 long days and 340k on the Renegade I gotta say... big pat on the back to Ski-Doo. Least season all XP chassis sleds with the exception of the GSX rode like crap. This season every XP chassis sled ive thrown a leg over has been among the best riding sleds this season. The 800 Renegade is no different. It rides AMAZING. Handling is still a little twitchy on frozen snow in my opinion. But, if its rough... id ride this sled all day. 
Next, is the Nitro XTX. Man, I wanted to love last seasons Nitro so bad. I liked everything about it except its less than stellar handling. Im gonna just throw this out there... but "way to go Yamaha". The new chassis changes and suspension geometry have turned a poorly handling snowmobile into a very good handling snowmobile. One id again, be happy to ride all day. I think part of the difference can be attributed to the 144 inch skid on the XTX. A track this long gets massive traction and will numb the handling of a sled significantly. In the Nitros case, this is a good thing. Doesnt matter how it happened though, I love this sled. Ive fought and fought with jeff about it but because he's the boss he gets to do the test ride on the XTX. Know this though, when hes done testing... im stealing this thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment